One reason that makes most people don’t read again as often as before is because they see reading to be a difficult thing or hard work to do especially when they seems not to remember what they have read afterward. Some have to read something several times before they understand and remember what they read. It is one thing to read a book and another to remember everything you read. And a lot of courage is always lost when one read a book only to find out that he/she cannot recall what was read even at a shortest period of time.
‘‘If you read, you’ll forget because you seems to have a low intensive memory’’ this is common among students. A lot of students fail examinations because of this.
In this article, we are going to list out six simple tips on how you can read and remember everything. Trust me, if only you can follow this article to the end and put the guidelines into action, your retentive power will surely increase.
How To Read And Remember;
- Know Your Purpose
- Skim First
- Read In Short Segments
- Do Not Skip A Sentence
- Explain To Yourself
- Take A Break
- Know Your Purpose; Before reading a book or anything at all, it’s a good thing you have a purpose for reading and think about how that purpose is being fulfilled during the actual reading. Before reading, just ask yourself. ‘‘why am I reading this’’ many of us have one reason or the other why we pick up a book and start to read. It’s either to entertain or pass time, to develop an informed plan or proposal, to satisfy a requirement of an academic course.
Identifying the purpose will make it easier for you to read and remember what you have read.
- Skim First; Skimming through a book before reading will help you to prime the memory, making it easier for you to remember when you read it the second time. Proper skimming includes putting an emphasis on the headings, pictures, and key paragraph. You should slow down and read carefully only the parts that contribute to fulfilling the reading purpose.
- Read In Short Segments; Reading without focusing is waste of time. So in order to maximize your focus, reading in segments is very important.
- Do Not Skip A Sentence; Most students while reading for examination often regard some of the information in a book as story and decide to skip them forgetting that before you can understand and remember what you read, you just have to read enough. “The more you read, the more you understand and the more you remember”.
- Explain To Yourself; If you are a type that easily forget what you read, it is because you either crammed it or you did not understand. After reading for a while, try to explain to yourself, this will help you to know if you actually understand the concept of what you are reading.
- Take A Break; After reading for 1-5hours, you tend to lose concentration as the brain gets stressed. So reading for more than 5hours without taking a break does not make you a bookworm rather it will be waste of time. Your brain is an organ not a machine. It also gets tired. So don’t force yourself to continue reading just take 10-30mins break, feel relaxed and good to go again. After the break, try to recall everything you have read before the break, before you proceed with your reading again.
For update on latest post, please inbox us.